Artifacts (previously Edicts) are cards that can be played at specific times to cause various effects. Artifact cards are discarded once their effects are used. Artifacts can be found in both the cosmic deck and the reward deck.
Below is a list of all artifact cards in the current edition of Cosmic Encounter and a brief description of their effects. For more on an artifact's specific effects and rules, see its page. Artifacts from previous editions that have yet to make it into the current edition are listed at the bottom of the page.
- (As Any Player/Any Phase): Cancel and discard an artifact or flare card as a player attempts to play it.
- (As Any Player/Any Phase): Cancel an alien's power as a player attempts to use it.
- (As Any Player/Reveal): Change all revealed attack cards into negotiate cards.
- (As Any Player/Alliance): Cancel alliances of the player's choice.
- (As Any Player/Resolution): Prevent compensation or rewards from being collected.
- (Offense Only/Regroup): Free all players' ships from the warp.
- (As Any Player/Regroup): Force a player to lose ships and discard cards.
- (As Any Player/Resolution): Kill a deal after it is made and cause the involved players to suffer the appropriate penalty.
Cosmic Incursion reward deck
- (As Any Player/Regroup): Force any player to draw a new hand.
- (As Any Player/Any Phase): Search any player's hand for a named card.
- (As Any Player/Any Phase): Choose a player to take the top card of the discard pile.
Cosmic Dominion reward deck
- (As Any Player/Any Phase): Play as any other "Zap" artifact, or to cancel and discard any card as a player attempts to play or reveal it. After use, send three of your ships to the warp or remove one of your ships from the game.
- (As Any Player/Regroup): Choose a player to regain any number of home colonies.
- (As Any Player/Any Phase): Send one ship from anywhere (including removed from the game) to the warp.
- (As Any Player/Reveal): Reverses allies' rewards for this encounter: offensive allies receive rewards if their side wins, and defensive allies land on the planet if their side wins.
- (As Any Player/Resolution): Reward the defense as if he or she were a defensive ally.
- This article or section uses Eon and Mayfair terminology: e.g., ships are "tokens" and colonies are "bases."
- : Cancel and discard an Edict card as a player attempts to play it.
- : Cancel and discard a Flare card as a player attempts to play it.
- : Keep non-Challenge cards when drawing a new hand.
- : Replace a moon in play with a moon from those not in play. (Only usable when playing with moons.)
- : Players may not use Edicts or Flares, and if they have multiple alien powers they must choose all but one to disable, for the duration of the encounter.
- : Play in between challenges. Choose any player to have an extra challenge in which that player is the offense, then play resumes from where it left off.
- : Cancel and discard a Zap card as a player attempts to play it.
- : Free all of the player's own tokens from the Warp and return them to colonies.
The unofficial Cosmorium contains revised versions of the Keeper, Sanity, Timegash and Warp Break Edicts that are updated as artifacts for the FFG edition if players want to use them.